Whenever I tell people I am a pole dancing instructor, I always hear the same words: Oh my God!!! That’s so cool! I really want to try it! Unfortunately, for many, that is as far as it goes. With all the stigmas related to the sport – yes! It is a sport! – To actually get started with pole dancing classes takes quite a lot of thinking.
But here I am to make things easier for the ladies who are dying to try.
Thanks to a mid-life crisis, I took my first pole dancing class 16 months ago. It was the first time I ever practiced flicking my hair in a fitness context but it was also the most fun I had in a while… and that’s all you need to know about that first class. But hey!! It worked out for best. I can honestly say I’ve never been this fit in my entire life and I am a pro at hair flicking now! I went a long way from the 38-year-old mother of 3 kids who never played any sports before, had very poor coordination, and could barely hang from a monkey bar. Not to mention that the idea of having flat abs rather than a constantly 6 months pregnant pooch is quite rewarding, maybe even more rewarding than being able to hold a handstand on a vertical pole.
So what is so special about it? Here are my 5 top reasons to try pole dancing:
- It’s fun. It doesn’t feel like hours of pulling and pushing the same muscle in endless repetitions. It makes you feel alive rather than just a machine in a production line.
- Every class is a challenge because it looks so simple and so beautiful. You just want to get that move so bad. There is a target to achieve and when you do… You feel like Wonder Woman. And nothing feels as good as being Wonder Woman.
- You will see and feel the results, yet you won’t sweat a drop. Pole dancing classes are sweat free because if you sweat, you slip and slip is no good unless you meant it. So you can just go for dinner right after.
- Pole dancers are sisters in crime. No catfights, no judgment, no showing off. We respect and encourage each other because no matter how good you are, you can always get better and we all started at the same place.
- It’s a great conversation starter. When you say you go to pole dancing classes, you suddenly become a whole new level of interesting and exotic.
And if you are still not convinced, here is my last trial. It’s cheaper and healthier than therapy. Good mood or your money back guaranteed! And by the way… It works wonders with break ups.