We’ve been enjoying our Konafa, Atayef, Om Ali and the list goes on for the first two thirds of Ramadan, so let’s give these healthier delicious options a try! Most recipes originate from the south-Asian part of the earth, yet we’re certain at least one of our 5 is familiar to you! Use honey as an alternative to sugar, and you’re good to go!
Steam Cooked Rice Cake in a plate- AKA Kinnathappam
- White Rice -1 cup, soaked in water overnight
- Sugar or honey- 1 cup
- Thin Coconut milk- 2 cups
- Thick Coconut milk- ½ cup
- Cardamom powder- ⅛ tsp
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Ghee- 2 tbsp + ½ tbsp
- Cashew nuts- 10 (optional)
- Soak 1 cup of rice in water for 2 hours.
- Drain the water and rinse the soaked rice under running water.
- Grind rice along with egg, sugar and thin coconut milk until very smooth.
- Strain the batter through a muslin cloth or a strainer with tiny holes. This would help to remove any grains in the batter. Make sure there are no grains and the batter is very smooth.
- Add thick coconut milk, combine well.
- Add cardamom powder and cumin seeds to the batter.
- If adding cashew nuts add that as well.
- The batter consistency should not be too thick nor too watery, should have a medium consistency.
- Grease a stainless steel pan or cake pan with 2 tbsp ghee.
- Pour the batter into the stainless steel plate (that usually comes with the steamer) or a cake pan would work too.
- Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- How to steam cook: Add 1 cup of water to a large wide pan. Place a trivet over the water, place the pan with the batter on it.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and its lid. If you don’t have the lid, just cover with aluminum foil.
- Steam cook for 40 to 45 minutes over medium heat, or until a fork inserted into the kinnathappam comes out clean.
- Open the aluminum foil.
- Drizzle ½ tbsp ghee over the hot kinnathappam.
- Keep covered and let cool down for 30 minutes. It will set well when it cools down.
- Slice into squares or wedges and enjoy.
- Leftover kinnathappam can be kept in the refrigerator, tastes better the next day.
- Ripe Avocado: 1
- Milk- 2 cups
- Sugar or honey- 2 tbsp
- Scoop out the flesh and put it in the blender.
- Pour milk and put the sugar to this.
- Blend it until smooth and serve in a juice glass
- Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Ghee (Desi ghee) – 2 tsp
- Sugar or honey – ½ cup
- Cream (Malai) – ½ cup
- Milk – 3 cups
- Lemon – 1
- Dry fruits (Almonds, Raisins) – 1 tsp (As desired)
- Desiccated coconut – ½ tsp (As desired)
.In a non-stick pan, melt ghee and put vermicelli. Saute vermicelli till it turns brown.
.Once brown, add milk and cream. Cook till milk comes to boil. As milk starts boiling, add lemon juice which will curdle the milk (just like paneer or cheese comes out of milk). Soon cheese and water will separate and at this point add sugar/honey. Cook the mixture till all the water dries up.
.Switch off the flame and allow the sweet vermicelli to cool down. As it cools, the stickiness will be removed and will give rich and a very nice texture. Dry fruits can be added now or can be added as garnish as well.
.Serve hot or cold as per liking.
Stuffed, fried plantain (bananas)
- Plantain (large bananas) , ripe- 2 or more
For making stuffing
- Grated coconut- 1 cup
- Cashew nuts or Almonds, chopped- ¼ cup
- Raisins- 1 handful
- Egg, beaten-1
- Sugar or honey-2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder-1/2 tsp
- Ghee or butter-1 tbsp + 1 tbsp for pan frying
- Oil- for pan frying
- All purpose flour- 2 tbsp
- Water- ½ tbsp or so to make a thick paste
- Select ripe plantains for making this.
- Remove the skin of the plantain.
- Using a sharp knife, gently make a shallow slit lengthwise on the plantain.
- Carefully remove the black seeds from the inside of the plantain, make sure you rip the plantain apart.
- If it’s hard for you to remove the seeds, it’s no big deal just leave it there.
How to make the stuffing
- Heat a non-stick cooking pan, add 1 tbsp ghee, add the grated coconut and the sugar and roast it until it turns golden.
- Add cardamom powder to the coconut.
- In the meantime fry cashew nuts and raisins in 1 tbsp ghee.
- Add eggs to the roasted coconut and scramble the eggs.
- Now, add the fried cashew nuts and raisins and mix everything well.
- Stuffing is ready, allow it to cool down.
How to stuff the whole plantain
- Take about 2-3 tbsp of the stuffing and gently place it into the slit made in the plantain.
- Using your hands, push the stuffing inside the plantain as much as you can.
- In a small bowl, combine all purpose flour and water to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste along the slit and paste it, apply some over the top of the sealed plantain too.
- Make sure the gap is closed well.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp ghee and little oil, place the stuffed plantain sealed side down on the oil/ghee.
- Let the sealed side of the plantain turn golden brown, the slit will be closed tightly now.
- Using a flat spatula, carefully flip the plantain and let the other side turn golden brown too.
- When done pan frying, transfer on a paper towel.
- Serve warm for breakfast or as an evening snack.
Tender Coconut Milkshake – South Indian Drink
Serves: 2 glasses
- Tender coconut, chopped 2 inch slice- ½ cup
- Tender coconut water- 1 cup
- Milk, chilled- ¾ cup
- Sugar or honey- 1-2 tbsp
- It’s good to use fresh tender coconuts rather than frozen or canned ones.
- If you have the fresh tender coconut, first make a small hole on the top of the shell using a sharp knife.
- Pour the coconut water into a bowl, keep aside.
- Using a sharp knife break the coconut into halves.
- Using a sharp knife cut the coconut from the shell.
- The coconut would easily detach from the shell.
- Cut the coconut into small slices.
- In a blender, blend together the coconut slices, coconut water, milk and sugar or honey.
- Pour into glasses and serve chilled.