Who likes scars and that too on face! Getting rid of acne scars is a little tougher than eliminating acne actually. Pimples can be naturally treated with many ingredients having anti-inflammatory or antibacterial properties which are in abundance in nature. However, pimple scars are a little stubborn as they doesn’t go easily. However, as the saying goes, nothing is impossible. It may take some time but your regular efforts using certain natural bleaching agents as well as other ingredients may lighten your acne scars and gradually remove them permanently.
Prevention is better than cure…
There are certain things that you should avoid in order to prevent forming scars at the first place. It’s not essential to have scars even if you get pimples!
Don’t play with your acne
Yes, keep your hands off your acnes! Don’t play with them, don’t pick them or squeeze them, just leave them alone when you are not applying any remedy on them. Whatever you are doing to remove pimples, do it with gentle hands. Why? I’ll tell you. When you get acne, there is intense inflammation on your facial skin and there is loss of collagen. Collagen is the protein fiber, one of the components of skin which gives skin its elasticity. When you pick or squeeze your pimples, it leads to further inflammation and injury to your skin. It also leads the bacteria and pus in your pimple go deep down into your skin resulting in more loss of collagen which means even deeper scars on your face.
Don’t expose scars to sun
Your body is capable of taking care of your scars and they will get lighter with time. However, if you expose them to sun, their healing process will slow down and the scars will get darker. So, avoid sun. If it’s essential to go out in sun, use sunscreen to guard your skin and also cover yourself with hat, umbrella, clothes- whatever you can lay hands on.
Natural remedies to Remove Pimple/Acne Scars
There are various natural ingredients that you can apply on scars to remove scars from your face.
Lemon is a natural bleach. Vitamin C in lemon helps in rebuilding collagen. When you use lime juice on your acne scars, the spots get lighter day by day.
How to use lemon for acne scars
• Take a fresh lemon and squeeze out its juice. Apply this juice directly on your scars with finger tips or a cotton ball.
• If your skin is very sensitive, dilute lemon juice by mixing some rose water and then apply on your scars.
• You can even mix a teaspoon of lemon juice with two teaspoons of Vitamin E oil and then apply this to your acne scars. Vitamin E is a very good emollient with a lot of antioxidants that protects and even improves your skin texture.
Make a lemon mask to remove pimple scars
You will need:
• Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
• Honey – 1 tbsp
• Almond oil – 1 tbsp
• Milk – 2 tbsp
Mix them all and apply on the scars once daily for about 7-10 days. You’ll see the difference. After applying lemon juice, never ever step out in sun!
Honey, along with acne, is also capable of treating acne scars.
How to use honey for acne scars
• Apply honey on the scars and leave it overnight. Wash off in the morning.
• Mix 2 tablespoons of honey with ¼ cup of oatmeal. Apply this mixture gently on pimple scars. Leave it for about 15-20 minutes then wash off with lukewarm water.
• Add ½ tsp of cinnamon powder with 1 tbsp of honey and apply on scars. Leave it for an hour. You can even use it overnight. Then wash off.
Make a honey-aspirin mask to remove pimple scars
Although aspirin is not a natural ingredient but you can always use it with honey to get rid of your acne scars. The salicylic acid in aspirin does wonders and its gritty texture gives you perfect exfoliation.
You will need:
• Honey- 2 tbsp
• Water- few drops
• Put the aspirins in a few drops of water till they get dissolved into it and form a paste. Don’t use too much water as you need a gritty texture for exfoliation.
• Add honey to this aspirin-water paste and mix
• Apply on your scars and leave for 15 minutes.
• Now wash it off.
3. Aloe Vera
This wonder herb, Aloe Vera, not only soothes swollen skin but also helps in regenerating damaged tissues boosting the healing process. It’s better to use fresh gel like substance directly from the aloe vera leaf than to use over the counter products containing aloe vera.
How to use aloe vera for acne scars
Take an aloe vera leaf and peel its outer green cover. You’ll see a gel like substance beneath its green outer cover. Take out this gel and apply it on your scars. Leave it for about half an hour and then wash off. Apply aloe vera gel twice daily to see the results in just few days. Not only will your acne scars will diminish but also your skin will start glowing and will become tighter.
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil can be said to be the most skin friendly oil because it contains a whole lot of vitamins ( A, D, E, C, B1 and B2), iron and antioxidants. The anti-inflammatory properties of olive oil also help remove acne scars.
How to use olive oil for acne scars
You need to apply olive oil to your scars before going to bed.
You will need:
• Olive oil
• Warm Water
• A clean cloth or towel
• Take a little olive oil and gently massage your face with this. Focus more on the pimple scars.
• Massage for a few minutes till the time you can feel that all the oil has been absorbed by your skin.
• Now take a clean towel or cloth and drape it into warm water.
• Put the warm wet cloth on to your face to get the steam.
• Now wipe away the excess oil gently with the cloth. Don’t rub though.
• After 1-2 minutes, wash off your face with normal water.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda is yet another popular remedy for removing acne scars through its exfoliating effects. The gentle coarse granules of soda mixed with water remove the dead skin layer off your face without any inflammation caused during the application.
How to use baking soda for acne scars
• Take a couple of teaspoons of baking soda and using water make a consistent paste.
• Gently massage your face with this paste focusing on pimple scars.
• After massaging for 1-2 minutes, leave the paste there on the face for few minutes.
• Now wash off with warm water.
• Apply some moisturizer, preferably olive oil.
• Repeat the process twice or thrice a week.
6. Raw Potato
Raw potato can do wonders in removing your pimple scars if you allow them to work for days with patience.
How to use raw potato for acne scars
• Take a potato and cut it into round slices.
• Take a slice and rub it gently over your face in circular motion.
• Keep doing this until you feel that your slice of potato has gone dry.
• Take another slice and do the same.
• Repeat this for about 15-20 minutes.
• Now leave the face as it is so that the leftover potato juice is absorbed by your skin.
• Now wash off.
• Apply some moisturizer that suits your skin.
Do this raw potato massage 3-4 times a week for at least 1-2 months depending upon the intensity of your scars. This and even other remedies for pimple scars need your patience to show results.
7. Raw Tomatoes
The red good tomatoes too can eliminate the scars from your face.
How to use raw tomatoes for acne scars
There are two ways you can do this -simple and one which is not that simple. First, the simple way.
• Take a ripe red tomato and cut it into pieces.
• Crush the pieces to make a pulp of the tomato.
• Apply this tomato pulp on your face and leave for 15-20 minutes.
• Wash off your face.
• Repeat this daily for a week or two.
Now the second method for using tomatoes by making its mask
Make a tomato mask to remove pimple scars
You will need:
• Tomatoes- 2
• Cucumber- 1
• Avocados -2
• Get the pulp out of tomatoes
• Grate the cucumber and avocados and squeeze out the juice.
• Mix all of them.
• Apply on your face.
• Leave for 15-20m minutes.
• Wash off with water.
All the above remedies for acne scars are good but there are some that will be more suitable for your skin type. Find out by experimenting with each and every remedy for scars. Have patience and treat your scars with these remedies and you will definitely get rid of your acne scars. Patience will be the main ingredient though, whatever remedy you adopt for your acne scars!